Monday, August 09, 2010

Anne Rice quitting Christianity? WTF? not fully

Anne Rice quitting Christianity? WTF? (Joy Behar clip)

From her Facebook, (("For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being “Christian” or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to “belong” to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else." ))

Whoa, talk a total switch. Way back in the day, I bashed Anne Rice for switching from writing about bisexual vampires to Jesus books. She actually wrote two religious books Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt and Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana. I wondered if it was a good career move for the famous vampire writer.

LA Times, ((I feel much more morally comfortable walking away from organized religion. I respect that there are all kinds of denominations and all kinds of churches, but it's the entire controversy, the entire conversation that I need to walk away from right now. ))

It is strange to go from one extreme to another and back again within a couple of years. I don't think she knows what kind of shit-storm she's setting herself up with by making her departure from Christianity so public. There will be downright personal attacks by highly organized groups. I also think her books will suffer because of the backlash.

I have to give her credit for taking this stance, but I just hope she knows her career will be in danger now. Heck, I agree with many of her statements, but not all.

It is rather crazy that I'm talking about her five years later on my same blog and I'm actually supporting her now. Damn, I've been blogging for a long time.

It should be noted that she still believes in God, but isn't down with organized religion.

2 comments:

MC said...

Yeah, she still loves Christ... she just doesn't dig the organizations which grew up around his worship.

Semaj said...

That's probably my stance as well with Organized religion. While OR should be complete discounted, but I wish more people would take her stance if they've lost faith in the church.

I guess her third Jesus book won't be released.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47