Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wanted (2008) Part 2 of 2

Why is the Tomb Raider chick staring at me?

Wanted

The Acting

What really stands out about this movie compared to other action movies is the acting. While there are some acting screw-ups, the cast is very sound.

But, Morgan Freeman is the best thing about this movie. He just brings a fatherly presence to his role. He makes otherwise impossible dialogue work on the screen. At one point, he shows the main character the method in which this society of assassins receives their targets. On paper, this would seem absurd, but with Freeman it is believable.

James McAvoy ranges from being good to fair. And Angelina Jolie’s acting is enjoyable to watch, but she’s too skinny to be believable as a kick-ass assassin.

Terence Stamp is in this movie and I kept thinking about his other role in Get Smart (2008) whenever he appeared on screen. When he left a scene, I kept thinking, Stamp: “Well, see ya, I have to go shoot scenes for Get Smart.”

What didn’t work…

The voiceover work is horrendous. James McAvoy seems like he’s trying to channel Tobey Maguire from Spider-Man. Moreover, the voiceover writing is so bad that it nearly takes you out of the movie. You don’t open the movie up on some lame dialogue.

The other main problem is the lull between the action/training scenes. There is a point in the movie where it gets rather boring and it stands out from the rest of the film. Some shots are bit too fake for me, but there are only a few. For the most part, the FX really works.

In the end…

I can’t say this movie is for everyone, but if you liked Fight Club or the first two Matrix films, then this comic book movie is for you. Sure the action and stunts are unbelievable in our world, but in this world it works.

Grade: B

3 comments:

PJ said...

Nice review. Maybe I should split mine into two or more digestible parts like you do. I agree with most of your views, especially on Jolie being too thin. Her face was too gaunt for my liking, and the scene of her stepping out of the bath didn't strike me as being sexy. There wasn't any sexual chemistry between her and McAvoy, but that was okay because she was more like a mentor and big sister. I didn't like the moment when they kissed in his old flat and his ex-best friend said, "you're the man". That was pure cheese.

Semaj said...

Thank you, I usually break the reviews in multi-parts for bigger budgeted movies so I don't short change any of the issues. But, I need to find a way to write shorter reviews for smaller films too. I just have too much to say. lol

Yeah, the bathing scene wasn't sexy at all. I strangely found her CGI model from Beowulf more sexual than the real person.

PJ said...

Agreed. CGI Jolie was very hot.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47