Friday, August 01, 2014

TV Guidance Counselor Podcast

TV Guidance Counselor Podcast
The basic idea of this podcast series is that Comedian Ken Reid has EVERY TV Guide from 1980 to 95, which was a very popular pop cultural time period to say the least. Before the podcast, he lets the guest choose any TV guide from his massive collection.  From there, they discuss the week’s schedule from that time.  Ken and the guest pick an episode, movie or special to watch from that block of time (hour to 30 minutes).  Sometimes, the guest was in some of the shows discussed (Just the Ten of Us/Parker Lewis)
If you grew up on 80s and 90s TV, this is a good podcast to listen to.  I used to collect the Star Trek TV Guides due to the different covers. TV Guide really got into the Trek franchise with interviews and insights. The only gripe I have with the show is sometimes things are repeated from previous episodes such as facts, but that's a small gripe. Overall, I dig the pop culture references and the facts about spin offs and sequels that even I wasn't aware of.
If you read my blog, then this podcast is probably right up your alley (that always sounded dirty).

Notes
-Everyone likes Knight Rider, including me.
-George C Scott was a prick. (But a good actor, take that, Shatner)
-William Shatner story:  There is a rather amusing and funny about Shatner calling a fanboy a gay slur to his face (talking about his weight) and Nimoy pointing it out later at the same convention.  I almost had pull over when I heard this story and sums up the way most of cast feels about Shatner. 
-ALF:  No one really liked working on Alf and the show hasn’t aged well either. I can't believe I loved this show.
-Kumail Nanjiani:  You might remember him from Doug Loves Movies and Silicon Valley.  This guy knows his pop culture info.  They also talk about Julie Strain and TMNT in the conversation.  Only us movie and TV nerds know the connection. 

-Melanie Chartoff also appears in another episode.  I fondly remember her from Parker Lewis Can’t Lose.  She was Principal Musso.  Her character had that thumb motion power.

- Ken Reid isn’t into TNG.  However, most of his guests and friends were into TNG, like me. 

-Michael Ian Black:  I love this episode. 









No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47