Wednesday, February 17, 2010

We Are the World (A look back)

We Are the World (Old and New) Part 1 of 2

So, it’s been 25 years…

Back when I was really young, I remember everyone got the first album. People would sing the song in school especially the Michael Jackson solos. Yeah, the original song was corny, but it still holds a place in my heart being that I am a 80s junkie. At the time, you would never see some of the biggest names from music all on one song. It just didn’t happen until this song. We Are the World is the Justice League of pop music.

I don’t know, but there was something about the 80s that seemed simpler about that time. Music was bubble gum and pop, plus materialist, but it was fun. It felt like the artists singing the 80s songs seemed to enjoy the music they were singing. Now, it seems too computerized and shallow…even from the shallow 80s standards.

Anyway, since the new version of the song was released, I figured I’d post the old version to bring back the memories. I’ll talk about the new version in a later post.

Original Song (Wiki page)

Points of Interests

-Hall and Oates are in this video. I was a huge fan of their music at the time.

-What’s up with Stevie Wonder’s colorful sweater?

- Dan Aykroyd: Even Today, I have no idea why Arkroyd is in this video. Is he channeling the Blues Brothers or waiting for a ghost to appear so he can bust it?

- Bruce Springsteen: Everyone makes fun of his solos in the song. I mean everyone has their own version of Springsteen’s solo.

- Kenny Loggins rocks! I forgot he was in this song! Did he take a highway to the danger zone to get to the studio?

-I get a kick out of Bob Dylan’s solo.

Grade: B+

Anyway, here is the list of all the people with solos.

· Lionel Richie

· Stevie Wonder

· Paul Simon

· Kenny Rogers

· James Ingram

· Tina Turner

· Al Jarreau

· Bruce Springsteen

· Kenny Loggins

· Steve Perry

· Daryl Hall

· Huey Lewis

· Cyndi Lauper

· Kim Carnes

· Bob Dylan

· Ray Charles

· Billy Joel

· Michael Jackson

· Diana Ross

· Dionne Warwick

· Willie Nelson

I remember this cover! I wish I still had it.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47