Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tough Guys Don't Dance (Oh, God, oh, man!)

"Oh, God, oh, man!"

Tough Guys Don't Dance (Oh, God, oh, man!)

Remember that “Worst line reading ever”? (Someone did a 'remake'.)

I wanted to do a follow up on that clip. MC looked up a the movie, and that compelled me to look up a little bit on this masterpiece film.

Here's the trailer, if you can call it that.

I have a few questions about this movie.

-Why is Cyrus Redblock in this movie (I'm Cyrus Redblock)? Lawrence Tierney was his real name. I'm joking. He was a rather famous Character actor. I remember him from his Star Trek roles (Business as Usual and The Big Goodbye). He was also in a deleted scene from Armageddon playing Bruce Willis' father.

-Why is Penn Jillette in this movie? Don't believe me, watch his acting here. I liked him better on that B5 episode.

-Why is the director, Norman Mailer, hamming it up for his own trailer? He even winks at the audience!

-Are we certain Tough Guys Don't Dance? I'm sure Chuck Norris and Captain Kirk can cut a rug. (I hate that phrase.)

As far as the “Oh God, oh man” scene goes, IMDB has this to say,

((Norman Mailer, in the director's commentary on the DVD, said that he was counseled to cut the ending of the scene in which Ryan O'Neal's character Tim Madden reads a note from his ex-girlfriend Madeline informing him that his wife was having an affair with her husband, and he exclaims, "Oh God! Oh Man! Oh God! Oh Man!" because of O'Neal's poor performance. Mailer kept it in because he thought the poor line reading actually added something to the picture. O'Neal, who had been friendly with Mailer, turned on him, as the bit revealed his shortcomings as an actor and embarrassed him. ))

So the director though it was so bad that he kept it in the movie. That certainly sounds like a Boll move there. Did Boll get his inspiration from Mailer?

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47