Friday, February 22, 2008

Superhero movies

Cracked Magazine has “Five upcoming comic book movies that must be stopped

I’m a comic book movie geek, so I think they have a very convincing argument here for stopping these five projects. Some of these characters are just lame, really lame.

Sub-Mariner: I’m sorry, but Aquaman is still a better character. A guy wearing green underwear and nothing else doesn’t seem strange to anyone? Ditch the underwear for some cool digs.

Shazam! (Captain Marvel): DC simply can’t get any secondary character movies off the ground. They don’t know what they want to do, because the pre-production of the Justice League movie was a total mess. I think there is room for a Captain Marvel in today’s audience, if done correctly. I don’t think they should get an emo kid to play the child version, but don’t make him white bread either. Bruce Timm series and the Kingdom Come comics did a great job of portraying the character in a different light. In many ways, he’s become the anti-Superman.

Luke Cage: Uh, I don’t think this one is going anywhere. Singleton seems to be focused on The A-Team movie these days. I never liked this character and think they’d have to do some major revamps to sell it to a modern audience. Please don’t have him slap women and say, “Damn right.”

Thor: Lose the wings, and make the movie a direct version from the Ultimate Thor character. He’s far more compelling than the normal Thor. The Ultimate Thor looks like blonde biker with extreme liberal values. That’s far more interesting to me, but studios don’t have guts for it.

The Green Lantern: While I’ve been a fan of these series of book since Hal Jordan went evil back in the 90s, I simply can’t see this being a movie that could be made today. I just can’t. They would have to keep the focus on Earth to keep cost down. I’d be open to seeing it.

It just looks a like a biker that drinks beer and beat people up.

7 comments:

SamuraiFrog said...

I'm with you on most of those. I think Captain Marvel could be done in a very warm and funny way, as a sort of anachronistic throwback, but it has to be done genuinely instead of as a joke. I don't know if there's anyone who could get it right.

I can't believe they're still talking about Luke Cage. Next they'll be talking about Wesley Snipes as the Black Panther. I've been hearing about both of those projects since about the mid-nineties.

PJ said...

I didn't know about any of those movies, but I am looking forward to the Wolverine movie...

Semaj said...

Samurai Frog: Yeah, you're right about Captain Marvel. I think that's the only way it can be released today. I can see a kid of today freaking out about turning into a superhero.

Yeah, the black panther project been in limbo for years.



PJ: I'm really liking what I'm hearing from the development of the Wolverine movie. I can't wait to see this one.

Ammaro said...

THOR!daaaamn, thats like opening up a whole portal of crap!

Semaj said...

It could come across really corny or really good. I do think the Ultimate version would be a better choice

StrikeFamilyBoom said...

GREED is leading the way here! look what happen to the aqua man TV show. i really dont think i have a comic from that list i would like to see.

Semaj said...

Oh, boy that Aquaman series would have blew majorly. I'm glad we don't have to see that one. Though, I keep hearing about a movie project...

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47