Sunday, May 07, 2006

Derby Cruising

Derby Cruising

What is Derby Cruising? Well, if you live in Louisville, then you already know. On Derby day, in the hood, people will drive up and down Broadway at around 5 MPH, showing off their pimped out cars and loud crappy music. Crowds of people will form on both sides of the street, and I mean huge crowds. Anybody that is anybodies’ nobody will show up to these things. Black People from nearby cities travel to Louisville to show off their cars. Women dress like sluts and try to get the attention of the cruising cars. It is pretty much a mess.

Yet, there is a major problem with this annual event. Derby Cruising isn’t an official Derby Event. It’s just something that has grown over the years. Many black people say they feel left out of the Derby Events. And, it’s true that Derby does lean toward the upper class. (I, for one, can’t stand anything about Derby. I don’t know whom wins or what happens during the event. Just another thing I ignore in Louisville.)

I don’t really understand why people go Derby Cruising. I don’t think it would be that interesting to watch cars drive slowly by. This year, they’ve tried to stop Derby Cruising because of assaults and a murder last year.

Read here fore more info…

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060506/NEWS01/60506036

Smoke is neat, I guess.

________________________________________________________________________

Uh, looks like fun.

___________________________________________________

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Better there than here. Many an Atlantan of all classes and races breathed a sigh of relief when Freaknik moved to Daytona Beach.

Semaj said...

I bet, I heard that Freaknik was crazy. Yeah, Derby cruisin isnt as bad, but it was getting there.

Jeff said...

Any cruising is bad when I need to satisfy my fix for Subway. Then we're cruisin' for a bruisin'!

Semaj said...

lol, sound like the next Subway ad.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47