Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Human Nature “Reach Out” (My thoughts on a few of their songs from that album.)

Human Nature “Reach Out” (My thoughts on a few of their songs from that album.)

First off, I’d like to thank the people at Sideways Media for sending me the tracks and videos to listen to here. I’m going to give my honest option on some of these tracks. I’m not getting paid in any way, shape or form for this post. Sideways Media asked for my honest opinion on these tracks.

Back when I was a child, I would listen to the old Motown records that my parents collected downstairs. I remember placing that little yellow thing in the center of the single records in order to play the music on a normal record player. I’d end up playing them almost as much as my Thriller and Off the Wall albums. I liked the horns and high-pitched singers smoothly weaving through the songs.

Motown was important to R&B and Soul. Berry Gordy Jr. took blues artists (with their blue music) and transplanted them to his record and cleaned up they’re looks, lyrics and style. Motown influence on pop music is still felt today with the late Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. Sadly, it is being replaced with the Britney Spears and Heidi Montags of the world.

Motown showed other black people that we could run our on companies and do it with style. Motown, an African-American owned company, has had influence on modern music across the world. It is only fitting an Australian band comes along and pays tribute to the old Motown Sound.

Human Nature plays tribute to the old school Motown records with their Reach Out and a few other albums. Some of their actual recordings are truly amazing. I’ve found that they’re album tracks are well produced.

Here are some studio recording from their album and the production values of the in studio stuff is very impressive.

Ooo Baby Baby: This is probably their best track simply because they sing the song acappella (A cappella). The Miracles (written by Smokey Robinson and Warren Moore) sung this song back in 1965. The Human Nature version has a Boyz 2 Men feel and structure to it. With only their own vocals to support each other, this track really shows that these boys can sing. This is their best track. I can listen to this track over and over again. More of this please?

Get Ready (with Smokey Robinson): Yes, this is probably they're most Motown sounding track I've heard. The beginning of the song sounds a bit off, but when the Motown Sound horns come in. Robinson still has it. This is probably their second best track.

My Girl: The Motown horns and strings are fully present here. The lead singer does a decent job reaching the higher notes. This isn't my favorite of the three songs given to me, but the instrumentation is spot on with the Motown Sound.

Anyway, here are a few sites to check out more of their work.

Their Vegas site

Reach Out Album site

Wiki Page

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought human nature was a michael jackson song. i went looking for more video on you tube (wasn't easy because, well...michael jackson song title). not crazy about their old stuff but the motown stuff is cool. more of that!

Semaj said...

Anon: It is also harder to find stuff on them because they've also toured with Michael Jackson too. MJ was really impressed with their work.

And, I love their Motown stuff a lot.

There is also a SWV song with a MJ Human Nature remix too.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47