Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Music of Sonic I-II-III: A look back Part I

Sonic The Hedgehog some Music Part One

I always enjoyed listening to the nice tunes from the early Sonic games. The songs were something special, when you consider the Big N had cutesy songs for their mascot. Sonic’s music had techno and R&B roots to it, which made you want to play the next stage to hear the newest tune.

Before I begin, I liked to say old school Sonic music kicked Mario Brothers’ ass.

Ice Cap Zone Stages one and two (Sonic III)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKFRzGK-jw

Comment: As I’ve posted before, many people believe Michael Jackson did many songs for Sonic III. One of the coolest things about Sonic III’s music was that they would have the same theme from in the area, but from Stage I to Stage II or III they would give you a remix of that tune. Listen for MJ’s voice in this song. This is my second favorite song from Sonic III.

Carnival Night Zone (Sonic III)

Sonic 3 Music: Carnival Night Zone Act 1

Sonic 3 Music: Carnival Night Zone Act 2

Comment: This is my favorite song from Sonic 3. It certainly has that hip-hop vibe. Act I is faster than act II, but I like the remixed style of Act II.

Spring Yard Zone

Sonic 1 Music: Spring Yard Zone

Comment: This has a very RB feel, but most of Sonic 1 songs have this feel.

Star Light Zone

Sonic 1 Music: Star Light Zone

Comment: This is another one that I really enjoyed when I first played Sonic I. It also has a very 80s R&B vibe. Listen for the ring sound used in the music, very clever.

Green Hill Zone

Sonic 1 Music: Green Hill Zone

Comment: Ah, yes the classic. Take that, Mario.

Sky Chase Zone

Sonic 2 Music: Sky Chase Zone

Comment: I like the middle section.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think what hurt the music in the mario brother's series is that they had an addiction to piano based pieces, where sonic attempted a more hip-hop/RB feel. The Ice Cap Zone music is my favorite from all the 16 bit sonic games. i will always say that sonic 3, with gameplay and music, is the peak of all sonic games, and there will never be a better sonic game, or sonic music, and maybe all thanks to michael jackson.

paul

Semaj said...

You're right about the piano music in Mario, they seemed to add a lot to the the later games (Namely 3) that there wasn't any variety to the music.

I have to give Sega credit for its Techno/RB/Hip-hop take on their platform game. It made Sonic cooler.

Sadly, Sonic has taken a more Hair Rock Band/European Trance/Pop approach to their music of late.

Larry "Liontamer" Oji said...

I think y'all are over-analyzing the soundtracks. It's kind of foolish for anyone to say "i think what hurt the music in the mario brother's series is that they had an addiction to piano based pieces."

There wasn't any addiction of that type, there was tons of variety, and the overall style of the music never hurt the series. All things considered, Mario series' music is more well known than the Sonic series.

I'm not saying the Mario series' music is necessarily better than Sonic. Both were pretty formative series as far as me becoming such a huge video game music fan. But it's more than a stretch to say imply Mario series music went wrong somehow in the 8-bit days.

Larry "Liontamer" Oji
Head Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix
Creator, VG Frequency
Staff, VGMdb
http://www.ocremix.org
http://www.vgfrequency.com
http://www.vgmdb.net

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47