Sunday, April 16, 2006

The New Superman Composer

Cool

John Ottman: Superman Returns Composer. Here is a very good interview with the composer.

http://www.superman-v.com/column.php?id=13

Comment: Trust me, this is a very good interview with a composer that’s only recently gotten attention from his superhero movie work. He’s now a superhero composer up there with Danny Elfman and John Williams. I really enjoyed his X-Men 2 score, and I kind of liked his Fantastic Four score.

((S-V: Who are your main influences as a composer and editor?
JO: I ended up falling into my own style, which most of us do. But Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams’ sensibilities will always linger in me. Like many composers of my generation, STAR WARS woke me up to the sheer excitement of orchestral film music. I then discovered Goldsmith, who became my idol. I drove my parents nuts playing my soundtracks over and over – I think they still know the Klingon Battle from STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE by heart! Brilliant. SUPERMAN was another record I played to death, along with EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. I also liked the scores from many other guys, including the new guys at the time, Horner and Elfman.))

This statement alone is the reason why I think the scoring of the new Superman movie is in good hands.
See below
((S-V: It’s been reported that this movie will use the John Williams Superman theme. Will any of his other cues be integrated into the film?
JO: Where do these rumors come from?! Well, the intent right now is to use at least a version of the main theme or make a very respectable nod to it. But it’s so early in the game. Films tend to evolve in ways one would never expect. Months from now when we’re actually thinking about scoring the film, who knows what we’ll do? Will the original theme date a new film, or will the film feel horribly empty without it? I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. I can say that whatever is best for SUPERMAN RETURNS and its legacy will be done. There’s no ego here, especially in the shadow of The Master! As far as other themes, there perhaps could be a variation of Lois Lane’s theme. We’re just not sure yet. The film is not a sequel or a prequel. It is a new film. So the bulk of the score will also be a new score with new themes, but in the style one would expect in SUPERMAN. Part of what hurt the last couple SUPERMAN movies – and they were sequels – was that the Williams music was just regurgitated, with very little new music to let the saga evolve.))

I just hope he uses at least the Krypton Theme. The Main Superman theme is all but confirmed From Imdb.com

Original Music by

John Ottman





Non-Original Music by

John Williams

(main theme)

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47