Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mr. Men: 76th Birthday of the creator Roger Hargreaves (1935-1988 ) thanks, Google


I opened my browser and clicked on the Google page.  I say one of the drawings from the Mr. Men universe, and it brought back some fond memories from my childhood.  When you clicked “refresh” on your browser, you would get a different Google doodle in the shape of the Mr. Men and Little Miss series of characters. 
Before gameboys and X-Box Live, little children had to crack open children books to read. It was one of the series of books my mother used to buy for me. I don't even remember how many I had, but I had a lot of them. I remember sitting in my bedroom reading them over and over again.
The best thing about each book, which were centered on one character, was that other characters from the series would make appearances in the other books. It showed that all the different books, with different stories, shared the same universe.
After Mr. Hargreaves’ widow sold the rights, there some newer books published in March 2006.  Also in 2006, there was a new cartoon show based on the characters.  I remember flipping through and watching them.   
I'm sure Mr. Tickle would be arrested today for sexual harassment today, but back then he was just a happy guy with long arms that enjoyed tickling random people. (You know that probably didn't sound right back in the 80 either.)
Anyway, thanks, Google for bringing back the memories.  







No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47