Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Edie Brickell and New Bohemians; What I Am

Edie Brickell and New Bohemians; What I Am
Shouldn’t they be called the Old Bohemians now?
I used to hear this catchy song in department stores all the time.  I still like the song, but what is she talking about?
The music video is well directed with some nice fades between shots that fits right in with the smooth style of the song.  I also like the way Edie sings the song. 
What do the lines “Choke me in the shallow waters
Before I get too deep ” mean?
Notes on the music video
~The Banner says “Midnight Show”:  Are they performing in some hipster joint or something?
~Why is Edie squatting down holding her ears?  Did she just chuck a grenade into the “midnight” crowd?
~Edie looks a lot like a young Carrie Fisher.  She really looks like Fisher.  Are they related?
~Where is this Midnight show taking place?  There are old toys and other vintage things sitting around. 
Anyway, the song still holds up today, and it is very catchy. 
Grade: B
Bonus vids


Baby (Emma Bunton) Spice did a cover of the song too.  And, it is actually good too.  Keep in mind that I am a huge Baby Spice fan, so there is bias in my option.  She looks very good in the music video below.
Here is the Hip-Hop version The Guru

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47