Monday, February 09, 2009

Analyzing the John Locke Theme from the LOST Score

Analyzing the John Locke Theme from the LOST Score

Michael Giacchino is a wonderful composer that knows how to make grand scores with simple themes. As I’ve said before, Mr. Giacchino is like a younger version of John Williams. Like Williams, he uses the Humming test. Basically, the humming test is when you make the theme simple enough, but memorable, that anyone can hum theme. The Lost score has a few of them.

The John Locke theme is simple. It is three notes that are slowly played through a few times in low tones. I do like how the theme isn’t really that heroic but dark and mysterious. Actually, John Locke has two musical themes. One for his adventures off the island and in a wheelchair and the dark one that I’m talking about here where is on the island.
You can clearly hear the theme in the season one soundtrack under “Crocodile Locke”



Btw, I know how to play this theme on the piano.

Throughout the show, this theme changes tones and keys. Below is another version of the Locke theme.



Thematically, this theme has an uncanny resemblance to Ben Linus's theme. Are they trying to tell us something about these two?

Check out “Dharmacide”



I like how this theme turns into a piano solo, yet it retains its coldness.

By the way, I’ll attempt to record a video of me playing theme on piano myself sometime this week. It’s real easy to do.

3 comments:

Yvonne Tran said...

How about "Locke'd Out Again"? One of my favourite Giacchino pieces ever.

Semaj said...

That's a good theme. It's usually used during Locke's time off the island. The "Locke'd out" is very cool.

Semaj said...

Btw, I love the use of Locke's 'island' theme this season.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47