Monday, February 26, 2018

Wonder Woman (Part 1 of 2)

Wonder Woman (Part 1 of 2)

Wonder Woman is a fun and entertaining movie that caught me by surprise. It has more of a Marvel movies feel of storytelling than some of the other DC movies in this universe. WW is a better movie than all of the newer DC comic movies combined. The shit that is the Snyder influence isn't really here. The movie has a lot of charm and sweet action. Unlike other Snyder's movies, I like the characters in the WW movie. WW made me look forward to DC Comics' movies again.
We want a kickass female lead that is what this movie brings us. Being a fan of WW during the 90s, I watched the movie with a huge smile on my face. Yet, I asked, “Why can't DC do this with the other characters?”
I am willing to go another ride with this WW character.  
Director Patty Jenkins does a really great job capturing the World War I era and the trench warfare. She knows when to let scenes breathe and when to cut fast for the action scene. Patty was the correct choice to direct this movie. Allan Heinberg should take credit for making a well-written script work in both dialogue and visuals cues.  
Let's talk about Gal Gadot. Not only is she easy on the eyes, but she is extremely good in the role. I wasn't a fan of her casting during BvS, but she was one of the few things worth watching in that mess of a movie. she is more like the New 52 WW than the old school version of her. She is more of a warrior type than a superhero. I was wrong about Gal. She busted her ass to get into shape and made a convincing WW. She is more of the leaner version of the Justice League cartoon.
There is a charm to her in every scene that makes her the most enduring character in the current DC movies. I love her bright-eyed expressions when she joins the man's world. I also like she isn't cynical at the start the movie and is more curious than her Amazon warriors. Yet, she changes as she witnesses the horror of modern warfare on normal people. She then has a choice in the third due to her changed views.
They could have made her a man-hating warrior, but she comes across as naive yet strong.  I love the sleeping next to Steve on the boat scene.  It was very charming and sweet.  Man or woman, she is someone we can cheer for.  
Due to social norms of the 20s, I also like that she can't walk around in her revealing WW outfit.  
I also like how the Greek god stuff fits into the modern DC universe. So, WW mixes the feel of Captain America and Thor into one entertaining movie. With the god stuff, there is a nice twist in the story. For the most part, the main hidden villain works. While I knew there was going to be a twist, I didn't see it being this twist. Yet, the heel-turn makes sense in the context of the story. The villain's beliefs aren't that far off given how evil humankind was in the 20th century.
Did I like the video-game look of the villain in the third act? Well, it was way better than the final battle in that King Arthur movie. However, that CGI fight might be the weaker aspect of the movie that usually grounds us in hand to hand and gun battles. By the third act, the movie earned some crazy god-like CGI fight.





No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47