Saturday, February 09, 2013

Christina Applegate leaves Up All Night


Christina Applegate leaves Up All Night
Uh, this is not my show.  I would never watch a show like this. 
Usually, it is no big deal with actors leaving a TV show, but Applegate was one of the main stars with the story centering on her.  This is a very big problem.  Would they really recast?  Or will they just chop the show off their schedule? 
From LA Times, (("It’s been a great experience working on 'Up All Night', but the show has taken a different creative direction and I decided it was best for me to move on to other endeavors," Applegate said in a statement provided to The Times. "Working with Lorne Michaels has been a dream come true and I am grateful he brought me into his TV family. I will miss the cast, producers and crew, and wish them the best always.”))
You better believe there is more behind the scenes stuff going on.   Take note of the “Taken a different creative direction”, because that means she probably bumped heads with the new producers over the “new” direction.  The creator left the show and the network is forcing the show from a single camera show to a multi-camera show.  This means the show will shift from The Office/30 Rock Style to a more sitcom style.  I actually respect her for leaving the show when she doesn't believe in it anymore.  I guess you could call it “Chevy Chase-ing it”, but Chase had problems with both show runners. 
Recasting or killing off a main character like this wouldn't work today in this type of show.  I know that Archie Bunker changed formats when one of the main characters left, but given this show has a modest crowd, the show wouldn't hang to them.
I guess NBC could do a total reboot and start over again, but again that seems stupid.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47