Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Philips CD-I Infomercial



Philips CD-I Infomercial
Holy, crap this is both bad and good.  I never came across this infomercial back in the 90s, but I would have loved it.  The games look really horrible, but I can see what they were going for. 
I love how the commercial keeps using the word (Interactive). 
Looking at the Wiki page, Sony even developed CD-IS called Green Book.  It was a CD format used on the CDs in the CD-I.  
Plus, Philips had the rights to Nintendo characters after they attempted to develop a CD add-on to the SNES called the SNES-CD. The games were leftover rights from that scrapped deal between Philips and Nintendo.  Sony’s Playstation would also emerge out of this twisted history too. 
The Biggest problem with the CD-I was the price tag.  It went for 700 at launch.  Plus, the Sega CD add-on sold better than the CD-I.  And, that’s saying a lot.  I vaguely remember reading about this game system back in the day.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47