Monday, July 05, 2010

My dog is gone...

My dog passed away on Sunday at 1:00 AM in the morning. Her name was Nala, named after the female lion in The Lion King, and she was 15 years old. Due to the loss of a very good and loyal dog, I’ve started to look back at the nicer times with Nala. But, I wanted to tell you all about the last moments I had with her, and to show why she was such a special dog.

In her final days, Nala stopped eating and only drink water. I knew the end was coming soon, because she was 15 years old and it was only a mater of time. Friday, she had difficulty walking and pretty much stayed in one room. I knew she was in deep pain, and I didn’t have the money to put her to sleep. So, I pledged to stay with her to ease her discomfort in her final hours.

On Saturday, I stayed by her side and pat her on her head and gave her water. Anytime I moved around the room, she would struggle to follow me. She didn’t want to be alone. I pretty much stayed in the room with her and never left for the outside world.

At a certain point, she couldn’t muster the strength to get up. So, she sat on a floor rug and breathed heavily.

I knew she was afraid of dying. She tried to hang on, and started to cry in pain. So, rested beside her. I stroked her back and head to relax her and slow her breathing down. I whispered to her, “It’s okay, Nala. You can let go. You’ve been a good dog. Calm down and just let go and go to sleep one last time.”

“You’ll be okay, if you let go. I’m there for you, Nala. Calm down and go to sleep.”

And, like a true loyal comrade, her breathing started to slow down and she stopped crying. She actually responded to my voice and presence. I knew she was no longer in pain, and she had accepted the end. I stayed with her for another hour stroking her back, until I knew she had lost consciousness. I knew she was going to stop breathing in a matter of minutes, so I let her have her final moments by herself.

I went somewhere else and took a nap. I woke up at 2:00 AM and went downstairs to check on her. She wasn’t breathing anymore and her body was motionless. Her pain was no more and my long time comrade was gone.

Nala had passed away.

I buried her and planted some huge strong plants on her grave. So, that way the plants would remind me of my dog…my friend Nala.

Nala, I’ll miss you…

6 comments:

MC said...

I know that pain. You have my deepest sympathies and condolences.

Stefan Blitz said...

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend and companion.

Semaj said...

Thank you, MC. I know you went through the same thing a few months ago.

It's going to take a while for me to get over her loss.

Semaj said...

Thanks, Stefan Blitz. I'm glad she over the pain she was in. But she will be missed.

Mayren said...

*huggles* I'm so sorry to hear about Nala.

Semaj said...

Thank you Mayren.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47