Sunday, July 18, 2010

Memphis Beat (First Episode)

Jason Lee: “Alfre, I got this great book about aliens, volcanoes and spaceships that look like DC8s.”

Alfre Woodard: “Look, I already had a role in Star Trek: First Contact.”
______________________________________

Memphis Beat (First Episode)

Well, think of this as My Name is Earl with guns…

Memphis Beat reminds me too much of a better southern-based show called Justified. And, the concept is basically the same except this show leans more toward a comedic tone, while Justified is much darker. Hell, both shows are set in neighboring states. Justified is a better show all around, but there are a few things that Memphis Beat gets correct.

As I mentioned before, the show has a more comedic leaning that fits in with the many cables shows on USA and TNT. There are some little moments here and there that are very amusing. And, Jason Lee really shines in the funnier moments, such as the cold opening.

Jason Lee doesn’t have the swagger of a Detective Vic Mackey or any of the other cable leading detectives. Sometimes, it seems Lee forces the gruff Memphis voice. Part of the problem probably has to do with the writing.

After watching two episodes, I can’t say I can recommend this show to anyone. However, it isn’t bad. The show is just not that interesting.

Grade: C-

Notes:

~Alfre Woodard (Blow up the damn ship, Picard!) is good as the foil to Lee. But, she needs more to do here.

~ DJ Qualls: Why in the hell is he a damn cop in this show? He plays an uniform cop! I’ve never met a cop that looked as sickly as he does here.

~Space Church Haven?: It has Jason Lee starring with Juliette Lewis showing up. Will we see the Twitter Star Kirstie Alley show up?

2 comments:

Mayren said...

i've kinda gotten into Memphis Beat, granted it was not based on the first episode alone. 3 episodes down and a few more waiting for me on Tivo... we shall see.
I like how they keep the Dirty South, well... dirty.

Semaj said...

I will give the show a second chance and see if the show grows on me.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47