Sunday, July 11, 2010

M. Night Shyamalan and his total disconnect…(THE LAST AIRBENDER)

M. Night Shyamalan and his total disconnect…

While reading through the blog Filmonic.com, they brought up the downright negative fan reaction to film and even showing a video with hardcore fan reaction.

I kind of wanted to see this movie because it wasn't really Shyamalan's material. After The Happening, I felt this might be Shyamalan's last chance to make a good movie. And, I remember that bad-ass teaser trailer and it really made me want to watch it.

Then, the reviews started to roll in and now the movie is only hovering at 8%. So, what is MNS's response from the critical backlash? Vulture did an interview with the Sham-Ham, and there is this total disconnect with the real world with this guy. He doesn't realize he has a problem directing actors. He claims he hasn't read any reviews for him movie, and that's when the interviewer reads a portion of Ebert's review.

((In general, no. Roger Ebert, who liked The Happening, did not. The first line of his review is, "The Last Airbender is an agonizing experience in every category that I can think of and others still waiting to be invented." How do you react to something like that?
I don’t know what to say to that stuff. I bring as much integrity to the table as humanly possible. It must be a language thing, in terms of a particular accent, a storytelling accent. I can only see it this certain way and I don’t know how to think in another language. I think these are exactly the visions that are in my head, so I don’t know how to adjust it without being me. It would be like asking a painter to change to a completely different style. I don’t know.
))

And, that's the problem. He either lashes out at his critics or pretends to have a total disinterest in hearing about the problems with his movies. I think he has it in his mind that he's this super-creative mastermind. He believes these critics are just holding him back.

To further my point, Devindra Hardawar from Slashfilm interviewed him. Shyamalan seemed to have it in his mind that only a “very small minority” has a problem with his race-bending casting in the movie. I've seen nothing but people complaining about from fans of the show about him replacing the Asian characters.

It might be time for someone to tell him to get his head out of his ass and take note of some of the criticisms he's been receiving. While I'd like to see him take some time off from making movies, this movie has made about 88 million. And, you better believe it will clean up overseas too.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47