Sunday, March 05, 2006

Superman (The ABC Extended Cut)

http://superman.markshields.com/

Here’s a very cool site with actual video clips of deleted scenes of the original Superman the Movie. They’re from the hard to get Extended ABC Cut of the Superman Movie. There were a lot of subplots restored for the ABC cut.

Ned Beatty scenes were severely cut from the film.

_____________________________________________

I do want to make a correction to what the writer of the site I’m linking to wrote.

((I give you Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty and Valerie Perrine in the last installment of my ''Diversionary Tactics'' deleted scenes series. My personal belief about why this scene was cut? Larry Hagman's sudden unexplained absence, for one thing. Another? The filmmakers never bother to show the CORRECT SEQUENCE when Valerie Perrine is ''correcting'' what Ned Beatty messed up in an earlier scene (because his ''arm wasn't long enough''). She closes the panel and all the numbers are completely wrong. Duh. Dropped scene. Enjoy this one. Now I'm off to walk my dog and then hit the gym to do abs and cardio.))

This is actually partially correct, but look at the uniforms, they’re not army, but navy. This is not Valerie correcting Otis’s mistake, but her reprogramming the other missile that the Navy owns, not the Army one. This is the reason why Larry Hagman is not in the scene (He’s army.).

I bet Donner thought the second reprogram scene was repetitive, so he cut it from the theater and DVD versions.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Join me

joinshamisen@yahoo.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Your explanation regarding Army versus Navy warheads makes sense. However, Lex Luthor emphasizes "GET IT RIGHT!" which to me implied that this was the "correction" for the earlier mistake. Unless having no fourth vector made no difference. Perhaps that's why Hackensack was targetted instead of, say, New York city.

Regardless, I'll make that correction on my page. I was basically just speaking off the top of my head. Thanks for linking to me!

Semaj said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by Mark. Hey no problem. Being a superman fan, I loved watching those extended scenes. Love your site.


It's been so long since I've seen Superman (ABC verison) that i've forgotten some of the subplots, but you're correct Lex does say that. (I wonder if he sent Otis back to the army missile and forced him to correct it, thus making a plot-hole with the numbers.)


I'm still looking for pictures of the 'Stormtrooper' getting killed during the destruction of Kryton.

Anonymous said...

I believe I have footage of that guy getting creamed. I think he goes flying through the air. I have nearly the whole thing in a DV-AVI file that's 30 GB on my desktop at home. I'll check up on it.

Semaj said...

Thanks, a lot. I've only heard about that second scene with the stormtrooper.

Anonymous said...

Check it out here! It's not as graphic as I recall. Enjoy stormtrooper guy with his eyes wide open realizing he's about to bite it.

Semaj said...

thanks whole bunch. I always wondered why Donnor restored the first 'stormtrooper scene in the DVD, but left the story payoff on the cutting room floor.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47