Saturday, March 24, 2012

Mass Effect 3 vs. the fanboys


Mass Effect 3 vs. the fanboys
MC has a thoughtful and damning post on the foolishness from some of the Mass Effect fans about the disappointing ending. I am one of the first people that has been really pissed how certain shows were ended by the writers. I am in agreement with MC on this.
Remember, I hated the ending to The Sopranos. If you want an ending that means nothing to anyone, watch that shitty ending. A blank screen? What about the shitty ending to Star Trek Enterprise? Braga let another producer run the fourth season up until the last episode and took over the ending because of his ego. The last episode is considered one of the worst endings on TV. That was the way you end the franchise, Braga? Again, that pissed me off to no end. What about that stupid Heaven ending to Lost? Really?
This is hard for me because I am a critic of sorts and bitching about bad endings and complaining about writers is sort of my job. But, some of these fans are taking it too far.
That doesn't mean I have the right to demand a new ending from any of these franchises. I will bash these shitty endings as long as I breath, but I have no right to demand something different.
And, I actually laughed out loud when MC mentioned a fanboy filing a complaint over ME3 with the Federal Trade Commission. Signing websites over your anger is one thing, but getting the government involved is just stupid.
From PC Mag via Gamepur(("After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims," You know, I'm willing to overlook the ones that were made back in, say, April 2011, because things might have changed in development over time. But the ones that came out this year? No, unacceptable, and yes, these ARE outright lies because they knew that what they said went completely against what they had planned," BrotherFluffy chimed in. ))
Let me be the first to tell you to calm down. And, this is the reason geeks are still not taken serious because of this nonsense. There is an air of entitlement that is inside the current geek culture. I have to wonder if it because gamers now play more and more hours on games than ever before. They feel it is their game.
Keep in mind I've had other endings that have been disappointing too. Uh, what about Deadwood. The show just ended with little fanfare. I can see your point given all the hours into the game you've given to all three games. All the choices should have mattered. However, like MC stated. ((Honestly, if the ending of a game or a movie can so irrevocably change your life for the negative, then perhaps fiction isn't for you. ))
And, instead of going to the government, how about making a protest with your wallet? In you feel cheated, don't buy another game by them.
So, should the company change the ending of the game because of the fanboy outrage? Probably not. However, it doesn't matter because BioWare is giving in and changing the ending. From NY Daily News, ((It’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations,” Bioware co-founder and general manager Ray Muzyka said. “Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics — but out of respect for our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.”

Read more: 
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/mass-effect-3-ending-changed-video-gamer-backlash-bioware-announces-article-1.1048196#ixzz1q4MHe77v ))
Well, there you go. Are we going to see more of this?
However, there are some interesting developments involving the ending of the game. It seems there is strong support for the ending being an indoctrination from the Reapers. Perhaps the company was planning on extending the ending due these developments below...



I hate to say this, but...


There is another side to it.  And I can see your point

4 comments:

MC said...

I go on the forums for that Dungeon Defenders game all the time, and the company that puts that out gives its players a lot of free DLC (like if you own the game during most of the releases, you got it for free). People still bitch about the levels and such that they are getting for nothing.

So yes, as a community, our peers have been WAY too demanding in most cases about everything.

Semaj said...

Yeah, when devs release free content to a game, i am least likely to complain about the stuff. I remember FFXI release some free areas for gamers to play in. I would have been overjoyed with exploring that stuff for free.

It seems the tide is turning toward people agreeing with you on me on this from what I am reading and hearing. But BioWare will change the ending now anyway.

Sarah said...

I'm only an observer for most video games (watch while my husband plays) and while I enjoyed ME2 so far I haven't enjoyed ME3 as much. Some of the lines come across as incredibly corny, and I don't recall that being such a problem in the storylines from ME2.

I DO know that he's hurrying to finish the game so he can see the original ending before they rework it.

Semaj said...

There is no word when they'll be sending that new ending in. But, I'd like to know how you and your hubby feel about that ending.

And, you have a bit of an edge on him if you watched the indoctrination theory video.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47