Monday, March 12, 2012

The Career of Eddie Murpy: from good to bad Part 1


Because I said I would, I figured I would start deconstructing the career of Eddie Murphy via movies.  I’ll do a bunch of post looking at his movies from back in the 80s to today.  I am not sure when and how I will finish the list. 
Here we go.  


 Tasha Yar:  "So, you're saying I will be the head of security on the Enterprise, only to be killed by an oil slick. Then my daughter from another timeline will be a commander for the Romulans?"   
48 Hrs.:  This was his first movie.  And, it is a good movie, if a little dark.  Eddie is funny, but the rest of the movie is completely serious.  Nick Nolte and Eddie work well together.  And, they don’t even really like each other by end of the movie either.  Look for a young Denise Crosby getting naked and jumping on Eddie Murphy.  That is a very funny scene.  I really do love this movie.  
____________________________________________________
 "We'll be back in another movie..."
Trading Places:  I love this movie a lot.  Plus, seeing the hot Jamie Lee Curtis go topless is a bonus.  Dan Aykroyd and Eddie again work together.  When Eddie is partnered with someone else, the movies are pretty good.  The two villain characters from this movie reappear in Coming to America.  
 Must keep focused on finishing the blog post...damn.  
___________________________________________________________
Eddie:  "I have no reason to be in this movie."
Best Defense:  Holy, crap.  It starred Dudley Moore and Eddie.  I had completely forgotten about this movie!  Murphy wasn’t even in the original script or cut of the film.  After test audiences gave it a poor rating.  They added Eddie’s part.  He took the job when they added a lump of cash for the lopsided part.  Eddie is listed as "Strategic Guest Star".  I only remember a few of Eddie’s parts in this movie.  I need to re-watch it. 
______________________________________________________
 Eddie:  "Yes, I know my pants are too tight and the hipster craze won't be around until a few more decades!"
Beverly Hills Cop:  This role is very similar to his role in 48, but he is a cop.  This one is more of a comedy than the sequel.  I love this movie too.  Eddie is great in it, his sidekicks are wonderful pairing up with him.  Again, he works well when partnered up.  The movie also works as an action film.  I love the banana in the tailpipe bit. 

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47