Sunday, December 10, 2006

Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny (review)

Last weekend, my friends talked me into seeing Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny and I bitched and moaned all the way to the theater. I like Jack Black and I loved School of Rock. Plus, I've heard many of Tenacious D's albums over the years and enjoyed them. However, I felt like Han Solo, “I have a bad feeling about this.” Yet, the movie wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and it did do its job; to make me laugh. Black carries the entire movie on his shoulders, because there isn't much in the way of a plot. Even though the dick and fart jokes made me laugh, the film itself was not very good.

The story is about how JB and KG formed the group Tenacious D, and their epic search for the Pick of Destiny. You see the Devil lost a tooth and some wise wizard formed a guitar pick out of it. throughout the ages various rock stars have used the Pick's power to play kick ass music.

The positive thing that stands out in the entire movie are the very good rock musical numbers. There are two songs that are worth mentioning. 1 the opening number, which changes from a rock song to an epic Orchestral piece during the credits. 2 the duel with the devil at the end. Who knew the Devil could rock so hardcore? BTW, David Grohl plays the Devil.

Anyway, if you have money to throw away, go see this movie. It's not bad, but not great either.

Grade C-

They're both using the famous martial arts technique called The William Shatner Style.

_____________________________________________

Jack Black: “I finally got out of that agreement to do King Kong 2: Kong Jr.”

_______________________________________

Jack: “I'm telling you, the shirt wasn't like this when I ironed it last night.”

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47