Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

While not as good as the first movie, it still has a lot of charm and fun. The story does get a little confusing in some parts, but the well-crafted action scenes make up for the plotting problems. As always, Johnny Depp shines as Jack Sparrow (That’s Captain Jack Sparrow), and he seems to be having a lot of fun in the movie. Orlando Bloom might as well put on some elf ears, because he’s been playing the same character from Lord of the Rings for years now. (Orlando, what does your elf eyes see?) Bill Nighy does a great job as the new bad guy Davy Jones. I found his make just plain creepy.

The FX in the film is very impressive and I loved seeing the Davy Jones crew interact with real people. The Flying Dutchman makes the Black Pearl look like a steamboat for old farts to play bingo on.

If you read the post below, you’ll get some insight into the Hans Zimmer score. While I felt the score didn’t harm this film, it didn’t enhance it either. In some portions, it just sounded like noise, hell, he even used some his Media Ventures buddy’s themes from Con Air. The score didn’t have the same feeling as Klaus Badelt’s score in the first one, which Zimmer uses all Klaus’ themes.

Despite the pacing problems and a muddy script, it is still worth watching. The movie has no ending what so ever, because there will be a POTC 3 next year. BTW, a certain cameo by a character in the end got a lot of cheers in the theater. I had huge smile on my face when ‘he’ showed up at the end.

I had fun, and that’s all I ever ask from a Jerry Bruckheimer film.

Grade B+

Jack: “Michael Jackson?”
_______________________________________
Something tells me it is time to get a shave.
__________________________________
Jack: “I traveled across the world and all I find is a chest full of 21 Jump Street DVDs. Just great.”
_______________________________________________
Jack: “Sora, Donald and Goofy? Sorry, never heard of them, now that Keyblade was cool though.”

2 comments:

wierufhwre said...

Looks good. I'll see it with some friends once I get a chance.

Semaj said...

It's not as good as the first one, but I think you'll enjoy it.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47