Sunday, March 09, 2014

Kickstarter-Firestarter: Guy burns his own books...for his fans.

Guy burns his own books...for his fans.
I think crowd-funding is a good idea, if used with moderation, but sometimes it comes back to bite you in the ass. And, sometimes it used for washed up actors and reality stars for no good reason. However, there have been some success stories. Now, there is a story floating around about a dude that created a book with funding on Kickstarter and he's cause a bit of an uproar. And, the story gets even stranger from there.
From dnainfo.com, ((A 30-year-old webcomics artist who raised more than $50,000 on Kickstarter has burned the books his donors paid for because, he says, he ran out of money to ship them. ))
That's right, John Campbell destroyed the books that were crowd-funded and showed the book burning video online. The man almost raised 52K on a kickstarter that was asking for only 8K. His loyal fans really wanted to see this book published. He got into trouble when he supposedly didn't have the money to ship all of the books to his backers. So, he did what any insane person would do, he burned the books and told them he wasn't going to give the a refund.
Here's the ramblings of a madman via Bleeding Cool, ((I refunded some of the preorders I received through paypal in addition to the kickstarter orders, but I will not be refunding any more. ))
Uh, people paid you money in good faith in order for you to send them their books. I got to say you have some balls telling them they won't get a refund...big balls. You didn't hold up your end of the bargain. Let's read on with this poop storm.
((The backers who gave me the most money received the least “reward” from me. After shipping costs, I “lost money” on most of the books I sold at the $25 level so, backers at the higher levels, you could perceive of yourselves as having “paid for” the books that the “lower” backers currently have, and you could try to get those books that you “paid for” somehow. ))
Wait, the more you paid into the crowd-funded least you receive? What kind of BS is that? The more you put in means you should most certainly get your books. Actually, everyone should be getting their books. What kind of hipster logic is this?
((You could try to obtain refunds through kickstarter or paypal, through your bank or credit card company. You could try to harass me or inconvenience me or tell other people negative things about me or this kickstarter in the hope that this will affect me negatively. Be aware that each attempt to contact me about this book will individually result in the burning of a book until the books are gone. ))
You're being a complete tool by threatening people into shutting up and “not inconveniencing” you. They paid for the product demand that you provide said product. That's like me going to store and buying a PS3 and having the store burn it right in front of me. One clerk saying, “No refunds and no PS3. Sucker.” You're taking a dump of the notion of crowd-funding.
Oh, it gets crazier. ((I want direct funding for my living necessities. I want to establish relationships with a group of people who can pay for my baseline needs like food and rent. I am looking for people who do not feel they need to see any “return” on their “investment.” I am looking for people who understand that money is a bad joke we use to hurt each other. ))
That's not what crowd-funding was set up for. If you want literally a handout go to the park with a can and ask for change. The whole point of funding the project is to see a “return on the investment” and to cut out the bigger gatekeepers. To ask for money after being this shit, it takes even bigger balls.
Don't preached the evils of capitalism while asking for funding in making your art and then attack people because they demanded the product they paid for.
It is not everyday you get to witness a breakdown in text form. Read the whole thing if you want. The comments below are more entertaining than the posting of his “rant”. (I know, rant is an evil word now.)
If I had a crowd-funded project, I would do everything in my power to see it come to completion and get the product out there. I shouldn't say this, but here's hoping a lot of people now download a copy of the book for free. 
 That's the sight and smell of 50k burning...

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47