Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mariska Hargitay as Dulcea (from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie)


 Mariska Hargitay as Dulcea
I was watching that Mighty Morphing Power Rangers: The Movie recently online recently. I read on the IMDB page that Mariska Hargitay  replaced Gabrielle  Fitzpatrick as the character Dulcea in the first Power Rangers movie. You will remember there was a female character dressed in a very revealing bikini outfit. I remember watching those scenes and thinking, “Wow, I can't believe they got away with this in a kid's movie.”
Hargitay actually filmed most of her scenes...in her very revealing outfit. I have to say she fills out her role nicely, actually more so than Fitzpatrick. The producers of the MMPR fired her and brought back Fitzpatrick, who recovered from a medical problem. They re-shot all of Hargitay scenes with Fitzpatrick and changed some things too.
From Red Book Mag.com, ((she laughingly recounts, she was fired as Dulcea, friend of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, on a movie set in Australia. "I was lucky enough to have a father who said, 'Don't quit.' So I just kept going." It's this buoyancy, this ability not to give up, that has allowed Mariska to take tragedy and loss and turn the telescope around to feel like, in her own words, "the luckiest person in the world."

Read more: 
Mariska Hargitay Opens Up About Her Injury - Mariska Hargitay Interview - Redbook  ))


Because the first movie was promptly thrown out of continuity with the next season, Delcea was promptly morphed into a dude named Ninjor. He played the same type of character as Delcea, giving them their new ninja powers, without the skimpy outfit.
  
I believe the creature by her side was named Snoggle. He was supposed to be the Jar-Jar Binks character in the movie. When they fired Hargitay, this character was removed from the story with the new re-shoots...thankfully.    

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I've always admired Mariska and thought she was smokin' in L&O:SVU but now I realize how right I was!

Thanks for sharing this gem I had no idea!

Semaj said...

Yeah, she really looks good in that outfit. She bounced back from being fired for her early role.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47