Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black Friday: Stampede at Target Store (this is the Christmas Spirit?)

Black Friday: Stampede at Target Store (this is the Christmas Spirit?)
Black Friday is dumb, and this is why.  I know parents want to get that popular toy that children want and will discard in 4 months, but is waiting outside for five hours in a cold parking lot really worth it?  How about the sheer insane violence that happens once the doors open, is that worth it? 
You have to love the people that still make a dash for the “savings” after they clear the doors of the injured.  You will never see me stand in line for anything related to Black Friday or any of those videogame releases.  We as a society have all become obsessed fanboys.  People call in sick to work to buy and play the latest Medal of Honor game or the next installment of the Call of Duty series first.  People push and shove people aside so they can separate the hard earn money from their hands on something they really don’t need.  This type of behavior was only seen in the geek subculture.  Now, everyone behaves in such a manner, and it sickens me. 
Part of the blame has to go to the department stores creating this buzz and event into what it is today. “If you don’t campout for Black Friday, you’re a loser.  And, you sink.”  The other side of it are the people that feel compelled to “get there first” at all cost.  They should consider not falling for the Black Friday trap, and simply wait a few days.
So, what about some of the injured? 
From CNN, ((Keith Krantz told WIVB that he was pinned against a metal door support and was shoved to the ground. Shoppers went over him until staff pulled him to safety. "At that moment I was thinking I don't want to die here on the ground," he said. ))
Yeah, I would want that to be my last view of the world, people stepping on me and over me to get to the flat-screen HD TVs and Nintendo Wii systems. People can't say I was doing what I loved as I got crushed.
Enjoy that Wii or TV while staying in the hospital.  



Could have used a V8? 
Note: This was one of the guys that ended up at the bottom of the human cornucopia.  He also got right back up and went on shopping.  (WTF?)

2 comments:

Nick said...

I hate Christmas, and this stuff is just one reason why. Bahumbug.

Semaj said...

Yeah, working in retail for about 5 years also soured me to XMass too.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47