Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Train watching memories and other stuff

From a train engineer’s point of view (And my train watching memories)

In this video, you will see a train go from CSX’s yard in Cincinnati to Louisville. I’m guessing he’s leaving Queensgate Yard for Osborn Yard in Louisville near U of L and the Airport. I’ve never seen portions of the line. But you can see the train bridge near the crossing between Cincinnati and KY on the Ohio River.

What makes this video interesting is that I’ve lived in the Eastern area of Louisville my whole life and I lived near the Cincinnati/Louisville Shortline and can hear the train horns. (It can be a very congested line at times, but that was when Ford was still doing all right.) I remember riding my bike to this line and watching the trains go by. This was when the line was still L&N and the Seaboard System.

The line that the engineer rides in the video passes by my Elementary School. (Bowen Elementary School) As a child, I remember playing in the fields during our outside break and I watched the trains pass (Google maps (go to street view). This was probably around the time I truly fell in love with watching trains.

I also remember going over to my grand parents’ house in J-Town. My grandfather would take me to the Southern Train Line (Now called Norfolk Southern) and watch those trains. But nothing compared to watching the L&N trains near my house

Side Note: On this line he rides, there is a Lexington, KY junction that is currently owned by R J Corman. RJ Corman trains are allowed to use sections of CSX’s Cincinnati/Louisville line. The Lexington line that the RJ Corman train company owns used to be owned by L&N (and CSX) for coal runs. It is called Central Kentucky Line Old Road Subdivision, ‘Old Road’ for short.

Here’s the famous RJ Corman Steam Engine from China. Last year, this train traveled from the riverfront to the Cincinnati/Louisville Sub to the Old Road to Lexington.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47