Saturday, October 15, 2005

Sad News For Howard Shore Fans

Howard Shore Leaves King Kong

http://www.kongisking.net/index.shtml

Comment: After four months of working on the score, Howard Shore is leaving the project. Director Peter Jackson and Shore had a creative conflict between them. Shore doesn’t have anything really bad to say about the experience, and they remain friends.

The good news, James Newton Howard is taking over, but he only has three-four weeks to write a score to King Kong.

Peter Jackson said, "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film. I'm looking forward to working with James Newton Howard, a composer whose work I've long admired, and I thank Howard Shore, whose talent is surpassed only by his graciousness."

The rejected score from Shore was recorded and was nearly complete. Sadly, we may never get to hear it. I hope it gets released on CD along with JNH’s score.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Bummer. I wonder whose idea is better? Let us decide! Put clips of Howard using Jackson't notes versus Shore's clips and battle it out!

Reminds me of the Troy score. Apparently the one originally commissioned was replaced, and most fans say the original is better. I think the composer put the music on his site to let people hear.

Semaj said...

The Original Troy score is very good, but Horner has some good action cues in his score, despite the fact he used his Zorro action cues. Strangely enough, the test screening was reason for that rejection.

Yeah, I would have liked the to hear Shore’s version. I bet Shore’s will be better only because Howard only has four weeks vs. Four months.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47