Thursday, August 13, 2015

Real Genius (1985)

Real Genius (1985)
There are certainly movies that point out the statement, “This is the 80s”, and Real Genius one of those movies. It is like Short Circuit and Weird Science in that way. When I was a child, I remember really digging the movie. I remember it being in my top ten favorite movies at the time. It may not be in my top ten now, it is still a fun movie to look back on. 
 It was during a time when my family was still together and everyone was okay and healthy, it was a simpler time both in the movie and in real life.
-Val Kilmer really is the breakout character in the movie. He's the smart clown that doesn't really have a care in the world. Plus, most of his lines are extremely amusing. He only gets serious when he realized that the thing he perfected is a weapon. Val is a great actor.
-Precursor to Drone Attacks: I can't believe how close this movie comes to predicting the use of drones and remote attacks from a guy sitting in a console. It is amusing to see them talking about the right and wrongs with drone attacks.
-Trying to disguise a deleted scene as a montage: There is one scene in a montage where two characters are talking to each other. Clearly, this was supposed to be separate scene, but they cut it out and just added it to the montage. They kind of did this in Short Circuit with them adding a deleted scene to the end credits.
-The Popcorn scene: Come on, what kid didn't like that scene? My brother and I would dream out having a house full of popcorn. Man, that was a lot of popcorn. This movie is probably the reason I love popcorn so much. 
 -Michelle Meyrink: Okay, she is a little over the top at certain points. She is adorable though. She's prefect as the love interest for that kid. I always had a crush on her. Is she every nerds' dream date?
-The jet FX were poorly done and look really bad today. I know it was the 80s, but still.
-The Student Meltdown: We see one student crack while studying. After being a college student, I can fully understand that scene. I've had many moments where this happened. And, I have wanted to scream.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47