Friday, January 19, 2007

Don't PPP

From Wikipedia

Pay per post is an online advertising vehicle used on blogs, websites and advertising networks.

An advertiser, wishing to promote their website, product, service or company may use the pay per post model to ensure that blog authors mention the intended target of the campaign. The blog author is offered the incentive of monetary payment in exchange for their distribution of a message, sometimes requiring a link to the advertisers’ website or providing other contact information.

The pay per post model is often used in search engine optimization (SEO), in order to secure incoming links for a specific site from other, related sites.

There is an ethical debate over the concept, which includes the disclosure of such payments by the blog author.

http://www.postbubble.com/2006/06/30/pay-per-post-isnt-evil-its-a-failure/

I haven’t encountered this problem too much in the past, but lately I’ve seen it in a few blogs. It’s a terrible menace, and it’s called Pay Per Post (PPP). Somehow, the vile and evil warlords of Marketing have come up with another dirty way of selling shit over the Internet (I guess pop-ups, adsense, and Spam E-mail weren’t enough for these jerks.), getting bloggers to do their dirty work for them.

As the writer in the link above has stated,

((I’m not calling this evil at all. I’m saying it will fail. What is the point of paying for a post that will get no readers? To put it simply, if your readers are even remotely aware that you are getting paid to post (word travels fast) then they will rapidly stop reading your blogs. Once that happens, you have no audience and the attention the advertisers are paying for drops to a value of absolute zero.))

I’ll add this; with Blogs, there is a sense of trust between the readers and the blogger. They might disagree with your point of view, but they usually enjoy reading your words, so there’s a trust. Imagine if someone started to place random posts that were only for products and junk in the middle of the normal blog posts. When they mention these products, the blogger gets paid. This PPP trend could very well spell the end of Blogging as we know it.

I’ll make an example below…

Sometimes, I get a little thirsty and I'd like a glass of refreshing Coke. I like Coke; Coke is the best drink ever. Come on, click on me...I need to make cash from my readers. Come on, click on the damn Coke link, I'm telling I want to be rich! I'm just using my readers to get rich, and breaking their trust! Pay me, Foo!

There’s just something rotten about this in a way that makes Adsense seem noble.

Please bloggers, don’t do PPP.

This post was brought to you by...

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47