Saturday, February 04, 2017

IMDB Message Boards will be gone

IMDB Message Boards will be gone 

From IMDB itself, ((IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic. ))
IMDB is shutting down its message boards. Really? I am very disappointed with this decision. I still read message boards from that site to see what discussions are going on with new or old movies. Besides the shitty posting going on, there were movie theories and other discussions with value. I would spend many hours reading posts about crappy movies and people defending them. I'd read theories on movies I didn't think needed theories.  It was just a neat little message board. I guess I need to move onto reddit or other movie websites for my fix.
What I find disturbing is that members of the “press” are celebrating its deletion gleefully.  And, one writer even connects it to Trump (really?). There is a growing trend of shutting down comment boards and other means of discussion under the guise of hate speech and I am not liking the direction it's going. I started noticing comments being shutdown on controversial YouTube videos and has moved over to IMDB. When you shutdown discussions like this you make it harder for people to see other points of view. Yes, you're going to get shit-posting and trolls, but there is some good in there too.
While I think this is the wrong decision, it is their website and their decision to make. I will still use IMDB for information on movies, but I won't be spending as much time on the site as I usually do thanks to the message boards being removed.

RIPD IMDB Message Boards
I did a search for IMDB boards and this photo popped up in the image search.  Why does partially nude women always show up in every image search?  When I do a search for baked potatoes, will a naked woman show up in the search field?  

I am not complaining...just an observation.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47