Monday, December 31, 2012

24 (Re-Watching Season 1 so far)


 24 (Re-Watching Season 1 so far)
I decided to re-watch the first season of 24 again.  I fondly remember watching the DVDs of the first season back to back.  I was really hooked with the fast-paced storyline and action scenes.  It felt like an action movie every week.  The reason I decided to re-watch them again is because I wanted to see how the early season held up.  There are things that really work in this season, but there certain things that are really bad.  
So far, I am nearly at the middle point of the season where everything in the first half gets wrapped up.  I am really digging watching it again.  It is still ground breaking what they tried to do here.  Each hour is within this episode structure and it is fun.  Jack doesn't kill as many people as he does in the rest of the series, but I am willing to overlook that given that this is the first time at bat.  


Notes
~ Kim Bauer:  Might as well start out with the terrible.  Yes, Kim is the worst thing about the show.  Elisha Cuthbert, while very cute, isn’t up to the snuff as the rest of the actors on the show.  Early on, we’re supposed to hate her, but we still hate her later on when they turn her into a hero.  Kim is a failed character that even progressively becomes worst in the second season.  She is not nearly as annoying as she will be in the second season. 
~First episode clock sound effect:  The clock has a different sound effect.  It is a little jarring. 
~Because of 9/11:  The shot of the plane exploding in the first episode was changed.  They shifted focus off the explosion and onto the woman jumping.  Speaking of the woman jumping from the plane, Mandy ends up having a strange subplot herself.  I guess we’re supposed to feel sorry for her when her friend is killed, but I can’t look past the fact that she blew up a plane full of people for no good reason. 
~ Nina Myers:  The biggest continuity problem in the entire season is Nina.  By the end of the season, we discover that Nina is actually a bad guy.  From episode to episode she actually stops the murder plot from moving forward.  She actively tries to stop the bad guys from succeeding.  Something tells me the writers added the twist that Myers was a double agent very late in the season, and they shoehorned it in at the last minute.  It makes no sense to the overall season one plot.   That always bothered me. 
~ Teri Bauer:  How many times can this woman get kidnapped and recaptured?  Only her daughter might have a similar streak.  I can see why they killed her off because the show would get very formulaic. 

2 comments:

Voltron said...

When Myers was revealed as a mole I called BS so angrily that I didn't bother watching the rest of the series. "Something tells me the writers added the twist that Myers was a double agent very late in the season, and they shoehorned it in at the last minute." Apparently this has been admitted to by the show's writers. Which is really unsatisfying to me. It reminds me of how Alias was ruined by Sidney's love interest for four seasons suddenly admitting he has been a false identity all along. I said FU and didn't bother watching Season 5. I don't mind moles or plot twists, what I mind is writers who act like viewers are retarded.

Semaj said...

The Myers thing always bugged me from the get go.

There are a few things from Alias that bugged me esp when characters would switch midseason.


But, yeah the plot twists have to make sense within the context of the story already laid out.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47