Monday, July 23, 2012

Let me make my complex point via 150 characters...(rant on FB and Twitter too)


A friend posted this on her FB page, I really like her and we see a lot of things eye to eye. But, I totally disagree with this photo below. This “discussion” is not that simply by making a straw man argument via a poster.
This is the reason I kind of hate Facebook...Half-assed political statements. (on both left and right sides)
I have a few conservative friends that are fierce gun people. Whenever someone shoots someone, they come out of and post things like this. While I am actually supporter of people having guns, I am not for making them easier to own eps on a mass level. Part of the street violence problem, not the crazy loner shooting people problem, isn't legal guns but illegal weapons flooding the streets.
It is the crazy people getting three or four weapons with vests and armor piercing bullets that I have a problem with,  When someone has the methods for doing a mass shooting, and protection against police officers, I think need to be discussed.  However, we lump it all under a 150 character post and picture.  
You can't sum up complex issues such as this one using a posting that is using a straw-man argument to begin with. It doesn’t work that way, but sadly Twitter and Facebook are being used for just these type of arguments. This is the reason I hate seeing long form blogging dying a slow death and giving way to short attention-span blogging such as twitter and FB.  
These issues deserve better than a twitter or FB post, yet we don't want to bothered with that.  

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47