Thursday, April 04, 2013

Roger Ebert (RIP)


Roger Ebert (RIP)
From Chicago Times, ((Ebert, 70, who reviewed movies for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years and on TV for 31 years, and who was without question the nation’s most prominent and influential film critic, died Thursday in Chicago. ))
It was a bit of a shock to read the news that film reviewer Ebert died today at the age of 70. I was aware that he was very sick and never fully recovered from his old health issues. But, damn he was a good writer. While didn't agree on everything he wrote or believed in, I have to respect the man for the path I am on as a writer/reviewer.
I remember going over to my grandmother's house and sitting in the TV room with one of my uncles watching At The Movies with Siskel and Ebert. My uncle was and still is a huge movie fan and that's probably were I got some of my love of storytelling from him. Anyway, my uncle would watch their shows religiously.  I wanted to know what they had to say about movies I loved.  
The concept was simple. Two critics from different newspapers got together to discuss, in depth, movies that recently came out. One was the “fat guy” and the other the “skinny guy”. They game a grade of Thumbs Up or Thumbs down. Originally, these two starred in the show Sneak Previews and moved to At the Movies. Now, they're both gone.
They're deep discussions into movies are probably the reason I praise or pick apart pop culture today.
Ebert took some flack for saying that videogames weren't art, and I strongly disagreed with him. He would later take it back. I found it interesting because it showed the age divide between him and people from 30s and lower. Videogames, when done right, they are no different than movies or TV when it comes to good writing. Being a better man, he made an apology even if it was a bit of a backtrack than an apology.
His barbs with the Brown Bunny director was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Oh, and I loved his ripping into Battlefield Earth.
Anyway, So long, Roger Ebert and thanks for all the reviews.






No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47