Saturday, April 27, 2013

Natalie Maines talks about the Bush-gate (and not Earl)

Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines talks about the Bush-gate
It is interesting that she talks about this incident after so many years, (ten years ago). I felt Maines had the right to say whatever she wanted. And, I agreed with her. However, I also felt it was a little bit of a low blow to say what she said to a non-American audience, because she was fully aware that kind of talk would have never happened in an American concert full of rednecks. It just felt a little underhanded to me. I don't think she thought it would have viral. 
I also think the other two Chicks weren't too happy about the statement by Maines after the fact. You better believe there was strain in their relationship.
Now, the reaction from the country music fans was a bit of an overreaction. Country stations refuse to play their music and DJs were suspended for playing their music. It was down right stupid in some cases. It was an comment made by a group called the Dixie Chicks, relax folks. This is the same group that made the song “Goodbye Earl”.
From Huffington Post via US Magazine, (("To me, I was right from the beginning, because it's my right as an American to speak up and question our President, have my point of view, have my opinion, question what I want to question, and say what I want to say about our government," Maines said. "It's very scary to me that people actually think we should just follow our leaders. If we can't learn from our history, we're nowhere." ))
I begrudgingly agree with the first part of the statement, but it would have made a bigger impact if you had said it in the US.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47