Friday, August 11, 2006

Rocky

Rocky

I usually can’t stand sports movies, but then again I am not a sports fan either. Last weekend, I decided to pick up the first Rocky movie on DVD. To my surprise, I found the movie quite enjoyable. It is a simple story of a man beating the odds and nearly defeating his opponent in the process.

Sly, despite the mumbles and slurs, brings out a character people can cheer for. I found the whole nobody vs. a big shot very interesting to watch. This brings me to Rocky’s opponent Apollo Creed. I really enjoyed watching Carl Weathers play a smooth talking, flashy boxing champ who was also media savvy as well.

The first movie was filmed on a shoestring budget, and it shows with its gritty and shaky shots. This works to the film’s advantage. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to appreciate these older films more than before. Go ahead and rent this film.

Grade B+

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47