Wednesday, June 14, 2006

R. Lee Ermey (Sir, yes, sir)

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be sir. Do you maggots understand that?

No one is more of an ass-kicker than R. Lee Ermey. When I was younger, this was the guy that scared me sh*tless with his best role ever in the most excellent film Full Metal Jacket. His one-liners in FMJ are still quoted by my friends and I today. Even when the movies are crap, he seems to always stand out as a good actor and character.

I’ll now take a look at some of his work.

Se7en: I just loved his line: “This isn’t even my desk,” he says when he picks up someone’s phone. And he promptly hangs up on the caller.

"Miami Vice": Hmmm, didn’t know he was on this show for one ep.

Full Metal Jacket: This was the role that put him on the map. Great role, great movie.

Fletch Lives: What a crappy movie, at least he was good.

"The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.": This show was great, and I had forgotten that he played the role of Brisco County Sr., the one that got shot a hundred times on the train in the opening scene.

Toy Story Toy Story 2: Don’t forget he was the army toy Sergeant.

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex: Didn’t know he was in this videogame.

"Scrubs": These were funny little scenes.

X-Men: The Last Stand: Yeah, he was in this movie…well, his voice was. He was the guy yelling at the soldiers to trade in their metal guns for plastic ones. This scene got a smile out of me, because it was a nice little joke cameo put in the movie.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What's your excuse?
Private Cowboy: Sir, excuse for what, sir?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I'm asking the f**king questions here private. Do you understand?
Private Cowboy: Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Well thank you very much, can I be in charge for a while?
Private Cowboy: Sir, yes, sir.
________________________________________________

2 comments:

wierufhwre said...

I have a shirt with one of his quotes from Full Metal Jacket.

"Join the ARMY; travel the world; meet interersting people; then kill them."

Semaj said...

LOL, that's probably one of his best quotes

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47