Saturday, August 04, 2018

Just a reminder: There are good people out there...


At work, I received a card today. It was from a woman that was leaving the workplace for greener fields and going to get her masters. It was a nice card with an uplifting message. Despite being a jaded old dude, I was moved by the gesture and the message on the card. Given that I am usually in a bad mood while there, I was surprised by her taking the time to buy me a card. For the last two years, I have gone out of my way not to be a part of the group and I generally have a bad attitude. I am on my way out of the job, but I need to leave on my own terms. So, I am more withdrawn than I was two years ago. Every blue moon, I will make people laugh or make a comment about something. I did that a few weeks back and talked to her. I opened up a little bit.
After reading the card, I went up to her.
You didn't have to do this for me. Of all people, I don't deserve this,” I replied.
Well, you were nice to me. And, you went out of your way to talk to me,” she said.
That was the thing that hit me. I really don't take into account my interactions have on people. I usually in my own head at work and only care about leaving. So, that moved me, because she got to hear some of my rants and jokes, which made her laugh.
Anyway, I wished her luck in her future.
She is that person who is always positive and friendly, so I know she will be successful. I am always jealous of these people because I am always consumed by doubt and self-hate to ever be successful at anything. I look at these people that are successful and wish I could get out of my own way and make a change in my life.
I guess I do have an impact on some people's lives.  She didn't have to do it, but it was a nice gesture.  
Anway, back to being evil.  (evil laugh)


No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47