Friday, September 14, 2012

Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP)


Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP)
This actually makes me very sad. He was really a very good actor and important to pop culture folks like me because he's been in so many movies and voice-over works. I know he was having major heart problems, but I didn't think it would have killed him. I mean he was at the age of 54.
Duncan was a very good actor that rose above his size to make some impressive roles over the years. Here are a few I'd like to discuss. Early on, he worked in smaller roles on WB sitcoms before going to major movies. He also played bodyguards and bouncers. He also showed up in a few many animated shows.
Armageddon:  This was the movie I remember him in first.  He was the wacky big guy.  He was really good in the movie, but the movie hasn’t held up as well as his character.  So, yeah the movie is a mess, today. 
A Night at the Roxbury:  I remember his bit part as a doorman at the Roxbury.  It was kind of strange seeing him in a tiny part after watching him in Armageddon.  I guess this one was filmed before Armageddon. 
The Green Mile: This was his breakout role that everyone noticed.
The Whole Nine Yards: He's kind of a bad guy in this movie, sort of.
Planet of the Apes: Man, this movie hasn’t held up well either.  Damn you, Tim Burton. But, Duncan's work here is very good.
The Scorpion King : I actually liked this movie a lot. MCD has a minor role in the movie. He works well with The Rock. “Him I'll kill for free.”
Daredevil : I think MCD did a great job with the Kingpin character and it is an interesting take to make him black instead of white. I think his character got the short end of the stick in the theatrical version of the movie. The fight between Daredevil and Kingpin was supposed to be much more brutal. He's a better defined character in the director's cut. MCD would reprise his role in the short-lived animated Spider-man series on MTV.
Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins : Okay, this one isn't that good.
Delgo : Yes, he voiced a character in one of the worst CGI movies ever.
Kung Fu Panda : His part is minor, but his voice stands out.
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li : Okay, I'll say this: He was one the better things about the movie and he fits with the Balrog / Bison character.
Anyway, I always liked MCD. And, I would get angry when people would get him screwed up with Ving Rhames. They're not the same, even though they play similar roles in movies.  

There are two of them, shit.   

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47