Wednesday, September 12, 2012

G4 will be GQ? Really?

G4: will be no more: and gets a D-bag face-lift
I kind of figured it was coming, because my local cable company makes people pay for the channel now instead of having it as part of your normal package.  But it almost seems like a bad April Fool’s joke.  But, TNN (The Nashville Network) did morph into Spike TV (which had to pay Spike Lee a lot of money to keep the name).   Channels do go through format changes.  Remember what FX was before The Shield?  It was a completely different channel.  Actually, the early FX was closer to what G4 is today.  
I hate cell phones, but I wish I was one now.  Is that an app?  
From Kotaku.com, ((NBCU, the station's owners, are reportedly looking at turning it into a TV version of GQ, ditching the nerd focus in favour of something more "modern male". ))
And, there you go. The channel that started out as a videogame-based channel, and combined with TechTV, will now morph into something for trendy people. How the hell can they do that? Why do I see the channel becoming more like the modern MTV instead?
While I didn't care much for the channel, I did like the leftover elements from TechTV. However, turning it into a stupid trendy “cool” channel is the wrong direction.  I personally think the channel needed to be more geek related in all forms of geek culture instead. We already have MTV for that sort of “modern” bullshit.
So, long G4, and I probably won't be watching GQ as a channel. But, if you want me as freelance writer for your mag, I am in.  Yet, I just think this is a bad move. 
Well, you did give me Olivia Munn, G4. And for that I am greatly thankful.




No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47