Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Karate Kid (2010) (Review Part 1 of 2)

The Karate Kid (2010) (Review Part 1 of 2)

I still remember going to the movie theater with my entire family and marveling at the original Karate Kid back in 84. I remember the entire crowd erupting in cheers when Daniel preformed the crane kick. I was like Daniel, that being an outsider. So, the first movie really connected with me as a kid. So, how does the remake stand up its 1984 counterpart?

Uh, should it be called The Kung-Fu Kid, but I’ll let that pass because this remake surprisingly follows the old movie in almost every way. They pretty much followed all the plot points from the original movie that you can guess what happens from scene to scene. I wanted to hate this movie, but I came away from it really enjoying it mainly because it reminded me how special the original has in my heart. Some of the fighting scenes are a little rougher than the original and the bullies are a little meaner here, but it is still the same story.

This remake isn’t prefect, but it is certainly a respectable remake of the original despite the fact they should have called it Kung-Fu Kid. Culturally and physical these two forms of martial arts are different. It seems a little insensitive to call the damn movie Karate Kid when it is set in China.

Yet, the rest of the movie is almost scene for scene a remake of the classic movie. It is the same under-dog story that the first one is and that’s a good thing.

The running time is even closer than most people think. However, this remake is longer, and there are a few scenes that probably should have been cut out. The movie doesn’t drag all that much, but you may feel the long running time.

The landscape of China is brilliantly displayed here. I am aware that the Chinese government made sure the studio put their homeland in a good light, but damn this movie makes me want to visit China some day just to see the landscapes shown here. We get to see the city streets and trains in all their glory.

Jaden Smith does an okay job as the main character in the movie. For the most part, he has to carry the movie because he’s in almost every scene. You can clearly see many of Will Smith’s mannerism in Jaden’s face. I still think his character is too young for all the things that happen in the story, but I don’t mind it that much. His mother (Taraji P. Henson) in the movie helps carry many of the scenes. Their relationship is very similar to single mother and son relationship in the original movie.

I felt a little uncomfortable with the love relationship between Dre and the Chinese girl (). Mei Ying and Dre do have some chemistry, but it just comes across a little bit too mature for kids their age. Wen Wen Han does a good job playing the cute little girl who is pressured into playing the violin. However, there is one scene involving Wen Wen Han and Dance-Dance Revolution machine and Lady Gaga’s song Poker face that is extremely uncomfortable. I’m not sure what to think about that scene.

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47