Thursday, March 15, 2007

300

300

This movie is loud and violent, and it deserves the R-Rating. It’s entertaining, but not deep. The story is based nearly panel to shot on the Frank Miller’s (Sin City) comic book of the same name. Like the movie, the comic book is loosely based on the events of the Battle of Thermopylae. Think of this movie as the History Channel on steroids. Then you can add nudity and blood for videogaming crowd.

The 300 isn’t a movie for everyone. Historians probably should never see the movie and people that don’t like R-Rated films. The movie plays loose with the facts of the battle and the characters in the film as well. The movie has received a great deal of attention for its use of monsters and mutants. There were times when I didn’t like their appearances in the movie.

There are hints of racism throughout the movie. The Persians are portrayed as greedy and evil. They have mutants in their ranks and have strange orgies in their tents. The film shows that Persian Empire was comprised of evil dark skinned people (Blacks, Arabs, and Asians are in the ranks) were hell bent on destroying the democracy of the Greek cities. When in fact, it was the Spartans’ uneasy allies the Athenians that started the war. Then again, all these historical problems are answered through the fact the movie is told through the eyes (or eye) of one of the soldiers, so he twisted the story to make it more compelling to other Greeks.

The music is very good, when you consider the mess of the score to Sin City, (the only drawback to that movie). The editing and camera work is good, thanks to a lot of CGI work here and there. Hell, even the sense of humor is black and funny. While it is certainly no Sin City, the movie was fun in an extreme fanboy sort of way.

Grade B-

~Look for a flute-playing Goat. I really hated that part.

~Nothing is mentioned about the small Athenian navy vs. the larger Persian navy that was happening at the same time as this story. I was little upset about this.

Xerxes didn’t look like this in real life. Note: The movie hints that the character is Bisexual, I’m not sure why.
___________________________________________________________
Very good scene.
________________________________________________________
This is Sparta, motherf#$%er!
___________________________________________________
Xerxes: “Will you be my friend on my Myspace page.”

3 comments:

Mayren said...

see that's what i'm saying. I don't know if I really wanna see this movie in the theatres. Too many people are just raving that this is the next best thing but i'm not sold. I've gotten alot of hell already from people who say that I shouldn't have an opinion about the movie until AFTER i see it. But I really don't see anything in the extensive previews that make me want to.

I know you gave it a B-
so Would you see it again Semaj?

Anonymous said...

I would see it in the theatre, once it gets here, but only because i like watching epic movies more than anything else, and nothing other than this is currently worth it to see.

Semaj said...

@ Mayren: While the movie isn't the best thing to come out, I do recommend you see it. The action scenes were good. The biggest problem I have with it are the mutant creatures that have no place in a historical film, in a Rings movie, it works though.

I guess I was going in thinking it would be like Sin City. I'd say get some friends together and see it this weekend.

I'd see it on DVD again. (BTW, I saw it for free on IMAX)


Blayde: And, that's what I should have put into my review, it's the only thing out besides romantic comedies and teen movies. It is fun to see a R-rated movie that has some good action scenes.

I'm just happy a R-rated film has made a lot of money. And, hopefully this will change Hollywood's mind about watering down movies for a sake of a buck. I'd like hear your thoughts on the movie once it gets released there.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47