Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka


I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
This parody of the blaxploitation movies doesn’t hold up today as it did when I was a little kid.  I remember fondly liking this movie.  Like most Keenen Ivory Wayans-based comedies, it doesn’t hold up on recent viewings.  While there are some good things about the movie, most of the stuff focusing on Wayans just doesn’t seem that funny. 
The scenes that directly relate to and parody the blaxploitation aspects of those older movies are still funny.  Those scenes are the stronger portions of the film.  It is fun to see Jim Brown, Bernie Casey, Isaac Hayes and Antonio Fargas playing up many of the characters they played during that time period. 
Even some of the Breaking Fourth Wall jokes are funny.  But some of Wayans bits are just downright stupid and unfunny.  Black Dynamite would certainly do it better by actually going all the way with the spoof.  Here in this movie it seems Wayans’ ego sort of gets in the way of making this a complete spoof. 
Grade:  C+
 -Chris Rock has a small part in the movie as his “Cheap Guy” character he’s played over the years.  I actually laughed a lot at the scene. 
-Did you know there was a spinoff TV shot based on the movie?  It was called Hammer, Slammer, & Slade.  I remember seeing promos for the pilot, but I am sure there wasn’t a full season of the show. 
-Kung Fu Joe is a funny character, and should have been used more. 
 This guy is always great in movies.
________________________________________________________
Isaac Hayes: "Chris Rock, did you know there are alien spirits inside you right now.  I got a book and program that can help you get them out." 
Chris Rock:  "How about I just use some ex-lax to get them out of me?" 
Isaac Hayes:  "Shut your mouth." 
Chris Rock:  "I'm just talking about Xenu." 

No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47