Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Being Black

Being a black man, I always hear one phrase more than any other. “You don’t act black.” Every time I hear that phrase, I get upset. The worst part of it is it’s mostly black people that tell me this. Then, I usually shoot back a question, “What is being black?” That’s when they do not have an answer for me.

I find this frustrating. I am “not black” because I listen to other types of music besides hip-hop. Can black people like something different outside the cultural norms?

The other thing I hear is I do not talk black. How is a black person supposed to talk? Can I talk to someone without using slang? Word up, G.

These are things that make you go, hmmm.

I’ll have more on this later…

2 comments:

justjudith said...

i feel you. sometimes we don't notice that we are standing in our own way! hang in there. it's really a compliment!

Semaj said...

Thanks.

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47