Monday, January 03, 2022

Waiting 4 U by Chromeo



 I remember this song when Daryl Hall and Chromeo did a cover on his show.  I had no idea the original song was a throwback to the 80s pop music with the beeps and boops.  Here’s the kicker; the lyrics reveal a different meaning.  The song is very much a stalker track.  Despite the creepy stalker vibe, which is intentional, it does sound like a Hall and Oates track.  

((I see you when the lights turn low

I want you more than anyone knows

These one of a kind thoughts are goin' through my mind

And you don't know anything about it))

So, you’re checking out a woman as the night falls.  You are attracted to her more than even she knows.  We’re talking Rusty Greer levels here.  (That was a joke, Russ.  Don’t sue me.)  

((It gives me such delight to watch you get in the mood

And you don't know anything about it

To treat you right, just right, and spend an evening with you

And you don't know anything about it))

So, he’s watching her have sex or self-pleasuring herself.  Then, he goes into The white knight/nice guy routine.  Geez, this is creepy.  

Then, the next chorus has a very creepy Greer feeling.  Why am I getting Greer/Chris Chan vibes?  

((Looking out the window I can't help but stop and stare

This fine young woman's on the corner standing there

And mmm, I start to wonder, mmm, I wonder why

Would things be really different if I couldn't catch her eye

Man, maybe I managed to and acted real cool

But she turned around and played me like a fool, a fool

There's something in her allure makes me scared to even try

Visibly she's into another guy, that's why))

Ouch, the thirst is real for this guy.  Yep, checking out a woman while stands out on the street seems stalker-like.  Anyway, I love the song, but it is clearly far creepier than it sounds on the surface. 






No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47