Sunday, June 13, 2021

School Daze | Madame Re-Res Dance Scene: That Good/Bad Hair dance number


Growing up as a black man in a more mixed area and middle class, I sort of got what Spike Lee was throwing down in School Daze.  While I wasn’t around too many black girls growing up, I knew about the struggles and strife with “good and bad” hair.  This dance number has a deeper meaning in today’s climate.  I didn’t get that growing up.  I also like that the dance number is in its own world and not part of the movie really as you can see the actresses goofing off in the final moments of the number.  

In their prime and looking good, that is Tisha Campbell and Jasmine Guy.  They’re playing the more light-skinned proper sororities in the movie.  And, I am not going to lie, but I am more into light-skinned black women, however, I am trying to get past that.  I had huge crushes on Campbell and Guy.

Speaking of hot light-skinned women, the lovely Alicia Keys did a tribute to School Daze in her Teenage Love Affair music video.  They mimic the dance number from the movie and Giancarlo Esposito shows up from the film as well. 


No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47