Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Chewing Gum ads

Chewing Gum ads
Back in the 80s, I used to record episodes of TNG on videotape. I would also get ads from that era of TV too. The one I really remembered and still sing today are the Juicy Fruit commercials. Somehow, chewing gum ads took a page from soda and alcohol organizations and made the most disposable substance fun. Hey slap a song on a montage of semi-young people playing on a beach or lake and there you have it.
Does the guy that sings this song put this on his resume?  



Hey why stop there when you have having “extreme” chewing gum in the snow?
And, Big Red will get you laid.
By the way, the black girl in the booth. Isn't she a rather famous actress today? I've seen her in some shows, but I can't put my finger on it.
So, what was Juicy Fruit's response to their older ads? This video, which I actually laughed at.
I guess taking something that is rather forgettable and making it cool is something ad people are skillful at. Look at what they've done for insurance ads. For me, I've stopped chewing gum and I despise people that grew gum with an attitude, aka smacking their lips with every chew.
The Double Mint ads are their own post I guess.




No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47