Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Kaavya Viswanathan: What has happened lately?

Kaavya Viswanathan: What has happened lately?
I was reading through MC's Archives and he had a good post about Kaavya Viswanathan way back in 2006. Basically, at a young age, Miss Viswanathan wrote a book called How Opal Got Kissed Got Wild and Got a Life. She got an advance and a deal for two books, plus a major movie deal with Dreamworks. People started to discover that her book had striking similarities with other writer's books. And, the jig was up and all copies of the book were pulled and destroyed and the movie deal was dropped. There was also discussion about Book-packing companies.
After reading his post, I decided to see what she was up to today. I was more than a little shocked. Back in June 2011, both her parents were killed in a plane crash.
From NJ.com, (( A leading New Jersey neurosurgeon and his wife, also a doctor, were killed today when their single-engine plane crashed into an Ohio cornfield and burst into flames shortly after takeoff, authorities said. ))
That's extremely sad to lose both her parents. The story also says she graduated from Georgetown University Law around the same time and her parents were visiting her before the crash. So, I feel bad for her and, yes I was one of the people that attacked her back in the day. However, I am 100% certain she learned from her mistake and clearly moved on. I'm one of the people furious over her book incident, due to the fact I tried numerous times to write a damn novel. Some of us didn't have other gifts to fall back on like her, and that really pissed me off. At the time, being a fictional writer was all I wanted to be, and yet here she was making a mockery of the profession I wanted to be in. I wish I could do the job or career I've always wanted. That didn't happen. 
When mentioning her parents accident, I don't think people should attack the people mentioning that she was the one that wrote that book. (like the people in the Huff Post comment section) It is still a part of the news and should be mentioned.



No comments:

 
Blog Information Profile for Semaj47