Remembering The Last Boy Scout
Friday night is a great time for... football. I am not a sports fan, but I fondly remember The Last Boy Scout. It was one of those hyper-action movies Shane Black wrote. Directed by Tony Scott and produced by Joel Silver, not to be confused with Ron Silver. Throw in Bruce Willis and music by Michael Kamen, and you got the whole 90s movie shebang: Bang Bang. At this time, people were getting a little bit of an action movie overload, and it only made a little over 110 million on a 43 million budget. Not great, but the movie did make back its budget through rewatches on cable and video.
I've come to really love this movie that floated around in the late 80s and early 90s. It is a demo of the Michael Bay stuff that would come out today. Future stars played smaller parts.
Here is the best part of this movie. The bad guys actually won in real life. Remember, this movie is centered around the guys getting sports betting legal. Bruce Willis and company are trying to stop them. In real life, legalized sports betting is everywhere in the US. I find that funny.
-Noble Willingham as Sheldon "Shelly" Marcone: This character is clearly a fusion-dance of Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. Willingham was always playing Texas assholes with a cowboy hat in everything. He even showed up in Star Trek: TNG playing...a rich Texas asshole, just like in The Last Boy Scout. He didn't even bother to change his wardrobe.
-Bruce McGill as Mike Matthews: The other Bruce in this movie. Why would Bruce Willis' character's hot wife cheat on him with Bruce McGill? I am not the prize. I am the door prize for the 5th runner-up. That always got to me. I love me some McGill; note: he has one of the funniest DS9/B5 jokes of all time.
-Damon Wayans as James Alexander "Jimmy" Dix: This was a proto-Die Hard 3 combo. Wayans works well with Willis. The only problem I have with his character is that they never really address his drug problems. It just goes away in a hail of bullets and explosions.
-Halle Berry as Cory: She doesn't last long, but damn, she looks good. She and Jada are the reason I really dig light-skinned chicks. Moving on before I get carried away talking about redbones...too late.
-Kim Coates as Chet: Before becoming the freak in Sons of Anarchy, he was in one of the best scenes in the movie. "Can I have another cigarette?" Sadly, I've become more like Tig from SOA. Man, I've been single for a long time, moving on.
-Billy Blanks as Billy Cole: Yes, that Billy Blanks. Everyone remembers him from...Tango and Cash. He gets his brains blown out in that movie. Joking aside, he was the football player who f'ed up the entire team with bullets. Was this scene added in as a reshoot? It has no impact on the story. Great opening; wondering if Bane from The Dark Knight Rises wanted to one-up Blanks.
-That song sounds familiar, but it isn't: This is where things get fun. The song was done by Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers. I'm black; I don't know the group. Medley pulls out all the stops in this mockingly/serious in-universe song that is a take on Hank Williams's " Monday Night Football song. I love it and still sing it today. I get some strange looks. BTW, Medley is still alive today at 85.
Comments